WoW Lore, Nyx Lore, Past Events, Fan Fiction and RP stories

Moderators: Lunar Guard, The Gloaming

Barefoot
Friend
Friend

Lady Nyx's Early Education

Postby Barefoot » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:22 pm

Entry #6:

Astorialla returned to Orgimmar today so that we could open the second jar we discovered. She assured me that she is ready to face whatever magics are contained within. However, after bracing ourselves in the Guild Library for another powerful artifact, all we found in the second earthen jar was a sheaf of papers. It looks like 4 separate letters, but we're not sure yet. Astorialla is going over them now. We believe these letters date from around the same time as the brooch we found - about 10,000 years old. Astorialla says that although the language of the Highborne Night Elves is the basis for modern Thalassian, there are many differences. So she is translating, occasionally asking me to do some research in our library to figure out a word she doesn't understand.
Barefoot - 80 Druid / Astorialla - 70 Mage / Suspicious - 70 Priest/ Jinxa - 70 Warlock

Barefoot
Friend
Friend

Re: Lady Nyx's Early Education

Postby Barefoot » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:00 pm

Entry #7:

We've discovered some key information!

- Lady Nyx's surname was Moonscribe - I wonder when she stopped using this name, and why?

- Nyx's father was named Theraneph - from Maledicta's delving some time ago, we learned that he was a Draconic scholar of great repute.

- Nyx had a tutor named Asto're Coppersting - he was an arcanist in an obscure cult called Shen’dralar.

Translations of the letters follow.
Barefoot - 80 Druid / Astorialla - 70 Mage / Suspicious - 70 Priest/ Jinxa - 70 Warlock

Barefoot
Friend
Friend

Postby Barefoot » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:23 pm

To Asto're Coppersting of Eldre'Thalas:

Your reputation as not just a powerful mage, but as an accomplished tutor, is what brings me to you; your name has been dropped many times during my search to find the best magical education possible for my child. I understand that you recently became available, after that most unfortunate accident with your last apprentice; my condolences.

No doubt you are wondering who I am. My name may not be well-known among the highest circles of sorcery - I am an historian, not a mage. (I specialize in Dragonology, especially the Black Dragonflight, and would be glad to tell you all about this if you're interested.) However, it is clear at an early age that my daughter, named for the dragon Onyxia, shows great potential with magic; already, at the age of merely 100, she exhibits control over shadows and fire. I believe that she could be an arcanist or sorcerer to rival any in Queen Azshara's court, if only she had the proper training.

As a member of the Shen'dralar, I am sure you are accustomed to the greatest luxuries; that is of no consequence to me. My manor in Eldarath leaves nothing to be desired for comfort or amenities: our guest quarters are sprawling, and you would have your own team of servants at your disposal.

Onyxia is a remarkable young sorcerer in the making; if you were to take her on as a student, your name would continue to be known long after your own magical brilliance dims.

Regards,
Theraneph Moonscribe

Barefoot
Friend
Friend

Postby Barefoot » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:44 pm

To Theraneph Moonscribe of Eldarath:

When, at first glance, I looked upon your letter, it did not strike me as compelling, not right away. If you are as aware of my reputation as you claim to be, you might imagine that I receive no small amount of mail, and of that, more requests to take on some "remarkable" son or daughter than I would care to count. Believe me, good sir, every new parent finds reason to believe that his or her offspring is the most startlingly talented creature in all Elune's great creation, whether or not that belief has any grounding in reality. I must admit that I lumped you in amongst such starry-eyed breeders, and I must also admit, most uncharacteristicaly, that I was mistaken.

Several nights ago, late into the night, my sound slumber was interrupted, not to awaken me, but in my sleep itself: large, dark blue eyes amidst the void, staring into me as if to see inside my own heart. I could not shake this image from my mind even as I went about my usual business the following day, and in that night, my restful sleep was again troubled by the self-same blue eyes, only that on this night, the eyes were surrounded by the face of a Highborne Elf, the face showing no signs of age. My attempts to shake this unsettling visage on the following day were of no avail, for the night after that, this face appeared again, this time whispering one word over and over: "Onyxia." Where had I heard that unusual name before, I wondered? And thus I rifled through my discarded mail, searching for the one that might mention "Onyxia," until I found the letter that you, good sir, wrote to me. As it turns out, your daughter may indeed have great potential, for to project oneself into another's dreams is no small feat, especially into the mind of one so powerful as myself, and so I have decided to take on your daughter as my pupil, although her age could prove to be a difficulty, for it is well-known that young prodigies often prove the most dangerously volatile sorcerers. It is fortuitous, good sir, that you chose to contact me for your daughter's training, for I do not believe that many others have the magical or practical abilities to teach your little prodigy control as well as power. I shall arrive to Eldarath shortly.

Asto're Coppersting

Barefoot
Friend
Friend

Postby Barefoot » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:11 pm

Dear Theraneph,

As you requested, when I first announced my intentions to take your daughter, Onyxia, on a journey in order that we might study different strains of magic throughout the world, I am writing you an update so that you might rest well knowing that we are both safe.

Onyxia, as always, never ceases to impress with her ability to comprehend, and then put into action, and there are even times when we might quietly observe magic, whether in nature, or performed by a sentient being, and Onyxia is able to perform the very same magic without a single suggestion or explanation from me. Her powers of observation and intuition are unparalleled, which perhaps goes hand in hand with her own introversion and reluctance to share what she thinks, to a point where I cannot help but suspect she knows always what I think or feel, while I have not a clue what goes on in her mind. Although one might suspect that this would create a sense of discomfort in me, it is in fact quite the opposite, for traveling with with a mage so aware of the thoughts and intentions of others proves quite reassuring in questionable circumstances. I most confidently assure you, Theraneph, that between the magical forces your daughter and I keep at our very fingertips, and her ability to comprehend immediately what a situation holds, we shall be in no danger for the duration of this journey.

Asto're Coppersting

Barefoot
Friend
Friend

Postby Barefoot » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:26 pm

Dear Theraneph,

Nearly a decade has passed since last I wrote regarding the journey Onyxia and I have undertaken, and so I took it upon myself to write again to assure you of our safety and of the learning process. Learning magical skills is a delicate, slow procedure, one that takes the best of mages hundreds of years to become great, while one can never truly be finished with learning, and though your daughter is indeed a quick learner, I must remind you that journeying for twelve years is minuscule compared to the centuries she has ahead of her.

Despite Onyxia's uncanny power for intuition and observation of other people, it would appear that these abilities are no use when it comes to natural surroundings, for while I assumed that she would have a natural sense of direction, it turns out that she is worse than myself when it comes to such mundane matters, which in turn led to us being lost in a swamp for close to a year. This undesirable situation led me nearly to the brink of madness, as I was so frustrated, not knowing where I was going, wondering if I was crossing my own path, insisting at first that Onyxia direct our path until it became clear that she was utterly clueless, and yet, young Onyxia remained calm, patient, utterly unflappable, which was enough to drive any normal, flustered person quite mad in itself. However, we finally stumbled our way out of the awful swamp, and Onyxia calmly suggested that we avoid such places in the future.

I look forward to returning to your fine manor in Eldarath in the near future, its ornate beauty beckoning to me, as if it were the distant daydream of a powerful sorcerer reduced to wandering in a bloody swamp...

Asto're Coppersting

Return to “Library of the Sages”