Do You Roleplay in a Roleplaying Guild?

Through this Portal, you enter the realm of the Order of Sages. Ward yourself accordingly!

Moderators: Lunar Guard, The Gloaming

How Many Nyxians Roleplay?

Heavy Roleplayer
41%
Medium Roleplayer
41%
Low Roleplayer
13%
Doesn't Roleplay
4%

Total votes: 46

Aitana
Oracle
Oracle

Re: Do You Roleplay in a Roleplaying Guild?

Postby Aitana » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:30 pm

My current perfered places to hang out for roleplay: The Filthy Animal, The Legerdemain Inn, the inn in Ratchet, The World's End Tavern, and any fishing hole.

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Nagashima
The Lost and the Fallen
The Lost and the Fallen

Postby Nagashima » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:42 pm

I can be very ambivalent when it comes to roleplaying.nnMy first and best RP experience in an MMO was in EQ2 with a small dedicated group of six or eight where it was constantly like a Nyx event - extended in-character exchanges but with more emphasis on storylines.nnI get easily frustrated with the fireside RP's or characters taking themselves entirely too seriously. Self-glorifying storylines, nose-in-the-air attitudes, pedantic diction and a complete absence of personality.. They're omnipresent in RP environments and they discourage me from RPing more. Not everyone needs to be civilization's savior.nnI try to play Nagashima as a childish elf trapped in a seasoned veteran's body. I keep her silly and bubbly in /say and /emote but will drop from the sky in a heartbeat to two-shot a gnome, and that's also why I've been a dedicated PvP'er on this character. I find PvP is the only situation where I allow the childishness to slip and I haven't quite decided if I like it as an IC behavior or not.nnSo I alternate between low and heavy. I'll make the odd IC quip in gchat but largely abstain from RP over distance - not sold on the whole telepathy or guildstone retroactive rationale. I prefer spontaneous exchanges to pre-scripted events and don't try to put character development into every game mechanic. nnAs the joke once went...nnGalrok [Battleground]: "Hark! Friends! O'er the frostcapped peaks of Dun Baldur ride Alliance soldiers, multitudinous and fierce! Draw your weapons and glory to the Horde for today shall we bathe deep in the blo111214wwwwwww332sddddd"nGalrok has died.
Challenger Nagashima
Ambassador of The Crew

Yien
The Lost and the Fallen
The Lost and the Fallen

Postby Yien » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:09 pm

Maybe we should be actively encouraging people to meet up in the inns and such.

Aitana
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Aitana » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:42 am

In my mind it is simple; if you want to RP, then do it! If you want to see more RP happen, then find an excuse to group up with somebody for any reason what so ever and instigate RP around whatever you're doing. We have a guild full of people that claim to be RP'ers. If anybody is ever wants more RP, simply reach out to your guild mates and instigate some! I would expect that the majority would respond and enjoy the opportunity.

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Leothiel
The Lost and the Fallen
The Lost and the Fallen

Postby Leothiel » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:17 pm

I stay in-character in guild and strive to stay in character in parties even with non-RPers. I've even stayed in character in chat channels.
Lord Leothiel Frosthawk, First of the Mageblood, Proud Lord to Lady Oneille, father and protector of Haeldrin and Islanna

Oneille
The Lost and the Fallen
The Lost and the Fallen

Postby Oneille » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:32 pm

Role playing is perhaps the most creative of oral and written tradition. Role play is storytelling. We tell our stories through words or actions. The idea of role play is expressing yourself. When I am in game my written responses are at best in character but other times it shifts to out of character. Role play cannot be forced and there is not a precise science to it, you just do or do not. Players gauge crowds, audiences, and situations choosing when to emote their own fifty cents. nnCreative writing and story writing give me the basis of my own transcendance. Several authors contribute to the lore, the history, and the culture of WoW and to the server. Each RP server is different. One server may have no major war with factions, another may present an ongoing fight with an unforseen evil, etc. nnRole play is random, role play is acted out personality justified by what a situation dictates, role play is creative oral story telling from perspective of those involved.nnI see role play as just that...a role that is played. It's not real life it's acted out in sense of what plot is about. If all else fails just blame the gnome and call it good!
"We live in dark times with dark wonders. Makes me glad I am a warlock." - Lady Oneille Frosthawk, Mother of the Lion's Pride, Mate to the White Lion.

Kaneonuskate

Postby Kaneonuskate » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Gonna do this in a list-esque format to try and keep my scattered thoughts organized :pnn/s & /y: All RP, all the time unless denoted by the usual smack of brackets or if the discussion has long been OOC and really has no hopes of going IC.nn/g: CAN be IC... one can consider it in a plethora of ways from magical devices such as crystal balls or perhaps scrying stones which allow people to meet in their own pocket realm on the astral plane. It can be the guild hall... it can even be a goblin device akin to a cell phone... All up to whoever's interacting at the time or even if that explaination need be delved into so much at all... but just as easily as it can be IC, it can be OOC... which is usually horridly obvious which is which simply by the blatent change in mannerisms or topic xD It's all up to how, when, and where ya wanna start up some RP. Heck, myself, Aitana... and... curses, another Druid, forgot the name >.< Any case, we'd all started a little RP in the guild chat which may blossom into something more in world.nnAs for my views on RP in general... it's all dependant on what happens. I'm not gonna go hide in the corner and emo about something, surely, but if someone says something to my character about something tragic, he's gonna react. In my eyes, it's the RP that brings it up, don't sit there and cry in an inn expecting everyone to flock to you, but don't completely shun people IF they bring up a tragic moment either. I LIKE just... general RP... true "tavern" RP such as "Go to a dang tavern and hang out" not "I'M DRUNK AND SAD AND MY LIFE IS OVER, LOVE ME PLEASE D:"nnI honestly think a good few things that may promote more RP in the guild is not only mingling with the lower levels of the guild, but also of general areas. Forgo a raid one night and go RP. Heck, set aside a night for just... TP... call it "RP day" and give a suggested location. Just... general, character developing RP can be GREAT fun at times, it doesn't always have to be blood and thunder... Sometimes, a chat is fine too. :3 *BRICK'D*nnSometimes, it just takes someone going. "SCREW IT! I'm gonna go RP..." to create some RP, just gotta go do it. And hey, don't be afraid to visit lowbie towns. RPing with lower-leveled RPers can make them feel more involved than even sitting there and helping them level or whatever can. A bit of RP can break up the mundanity of soloing and give them an increased vigor when they return to said soloing. Remember, you ain't gotta be level 80 to RP ;D

Dracmorda

Postby Dracmorda » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:22 pm

As I've said before, and I've seen others say here, I feel when you are a member of an "rp guild", RP in itself isn't an act that you go an do, it's a style in how you play WOW in general. It should go without saying that you are rp'ing all the time- when you log in, you are your character. Aside from raids/vent or dungeon party chat, I feel we should be IC at all times, and I act this out myself. nnThere are many man guilds where nonrp'ers can call home, so why someone not interested fully in RP would join the biggest (and one of the only left) rp horde guilds on this server is beyond me. For those of us that enjoy it and the storytelling/creative outlet/etc. that comes with it, I feel it's kind of our duty to preserve such a guild for others of like mind to join and contribute to. and form/maintain a strong community.nnAs far as the G-Chat, at present it can be either OOC or IC, but that is (from what I understand) because of a poll that was taken a good while ago. There are a lot of new people here who do enjoy immersive rp, and a decent few who took the poll then that are no longer active. The point is, the guild will shift to accommodate what we want as a whole, so if you what you want is more rp, as Aitana also said, create it! They will come!nnHaving flagrsp active, staying IC, rp'ing out in the world and supporting others rp'ing in the g-chat and hosting little groups/events relating to rp is a good way to get what you want.nnPS: The way (I believe) we are able to chat while not beside each other in the world is through our Hearthstones (guildstones some say). Think of it as a magical wrist device from a spy flick or something, where you can speak with each other anywhere, track guild members with it, and see them and/or their general surroundings if they wish you too. I'm actually working on hosting an event that deals with how our stones work that should be a lot of fun and clarify their function (if everyone likes the idea and we agree it works).nnAlright, morning rant is over, thanks for listening to my two (or was it more like three?) cents!

Aitana
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Aitana » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:27 am

I keep toying with the idea of creating a separate OOC channel for those that like to stay in character in guild chat. If we did something like that we would not change our current policies regarding guild chat; it would just be an aid for those that do like to stay in character. Naturally anybody in the guild would be allowed to join. Just a thought.

Thulcondar

Postby Thulcondar » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:09 pm

Aitana wrote:I keep toying with the idea of creating a separate OOC channel for those that like to stay in character in guild chat. If we did something like that we would not change our current policies regarding guild chat; it would just be an aid for those that do like to stay in character. Naturally anybody in the guild would be allowed to join. Just a thought.
nnI like it!
Tcd

Return to “Ward of Lore”