Do You Roleplay in a Roleplaying Guild?

Through this Portal, you enter the realm of the Order of Sages. Ward yourself accordingly!

Moderators: Lunar Guard, The Gloaming

How Many Nyxians Roleplay?

Heavy Roleplayer
41%
Medium Roleplayer
41%
Low Roleplayer
13%
Doesn't Roleplay
4%

Total votes: 46

Ashsaber

Re: Do You Roleplay in a Roleplaying Guild?

Postby Ashsaber » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:07 pm

I voted Heavy, but in reality I stradle the line between heavy and Medium, or at least I think so. As a rule, if I say something in /say, 99% of the time it's going to be in character, and that doesn't change much. Guild chat fluctuates dependnig on if RP conversation is happening and my general mood. The two places I am very rarely IC are /party or /raid (Unless it's an IC party or Raid), and in /tell.

Other than those, I get pretty engrossed in it, which is kinda natural given my background in D&D and theater.

Dracmorda

Postby Dracmorda » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:19 pm

It wouldn't be a bad idea to make a little "roleplaying guide" kind of thing for the guild since we allow players of all levels of rp experience into the guild. Things like commonly used game terms that can be said in an rp fashion, etc. (example: What's the daily heroic today? = What challenge have the Wizards of Dalaran issued today?).nnIn my opinion, when the majority of people stay IC, it creates an overall fantasy world for your characters to interact in. It can be a little abrasive when you are rp'ing in guild chat for example, and someone blurts out damage meters or "I just pnwned this guy" "look at my phat lewt" etc. It can be a turn off and ruin the vibe some people are trying to weave. (Frankly, I've never understood OOC Gchat- with a little creativity you can say anything you need to say IC and it supports and nourishes rp overall in the guild.) nnI know from being an outsider just recently accepted to the ranks, NYX does have the reputation of being the biggest Horde side RP guild, and providing people who may be attracted to rp a place to flourish seems like a positive thing. There is tons of guilds out there that allow you to do/say whatever you want all the time where you don't have to rp at all, after all.

Warzen
Nightwarder
Nightwarder

Postby Warzen » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:51 pm

I currently am a low roleplayer in game due to the fact, i like to play an undead with a loss of his humanity. Players in our guild literally, everyone i have encountered in this guild do not care for my antics or ignore them so i have put my story lines on hold. I have a full backstory in the forums that is actaully about 1/3 the size of the real one and i still have not posted my undead cookbook in fear it would be too sickening for the faint hearted.

Dracmorda

Postby Dracmorda » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:19 pm

sounds interesting! I'm going to check it out... sometimes I think it can be fun to rp that kind of thing. You know the Warband as a whole could IC figure out how to handle your antics if they are too much for the ears of the others, etc. and maybe even help to restore part of your more decent nature, that sort of thing. It can be hard to play a character like that though, as you more than likely will be partially shunned or ignored... it has it's ups and downs I think.

Lokistrazsza
Known Alliance
Known Alliance

Postby Lokistrazsza » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:19 pm

Warzen wrote:I currently am a low roleplayer in game due to the fact, i like to play an undead with a loss of his humanity. Players in our guild literally, everyone i have encountered in this guild do not care for my antics or ignore them so i have put my story lines on hold. I have a full backstory in the forums that is actaully about 1/3 the size of the real one and i still have not posted my undead cookbook in fear it would be too sickening for the faint hearted.
nnThis.. I like to roleplay my paladin as a cold blooded bitch, but roleplaying an a-hole is a good way to get kicked out of Nyx, so I keep my RP to a minimum. :p
"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I have no fear, for I am the meanest mother****er in the whole valley." - Gen. George S. Patton

Tsaphaan
The Lost and the Fallen
The Lost and the Fallen

Postby Tsaphaan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:50 am

I despise 'tavern RP' for the most part. Within Nyx, it's not so bad however what I consider 'roleplay' is not 'griping, whining, bitching, and moaning about matters that could be currently solved instead of sitting on one's ass and doing nothing about it.' Example: "Oh the Centaur are slowly overtaking our beautiful lands! Oh WOE IS THE TAUREN! However I am a great warrior (supposedly) and I'm totally for reclaiming what the man-hoss bastards took from us. But instead of fighting them off, I'm going to gripe about it in silvermoon because it gets me attention."nnNot a good enough example? Here's anothernnRandomorc says: "The alliance is one hell of a fighting force! But we're much stronger! We'll tear them apart if they try to take over our lands!"n[LocalDefense]: Silvermoon is under attack!n[LocalDefense]: Silvermoon is under attack!n[LocalDefense]: Silvermoon is under attack!n[LocalDefense]: Silvermoon is under attack!n[LocalDefense]: Silvermoon is under attack!n[LocalDefense]: Silvermoon is under attack!n[LocalDefense]: Silvermoon is under attack!n[LocalDefense]: Silvermoon is under attack!n[LocalDefense]: Silvermoon is under attack!n[LocalDefense]: Silvermoon is under attack!n[LocalDefense]: Silvermoon is under attack!nRandomorc says: "((No, we haven't finished our RP here! Clearly this attack doesn't count!))"nnnMakes me sick.nnBut then again, I'm a fighter and heavy pvper.n-MY- Style of RP is not based near places of warmth and happiness... I much rather prefer roleplaying during/before/after a heavy combat.nAs for guild chat RP? I'm not -there- with you most of the time. I'm (like 90% of us) off doing my own thing. Why would I be roleplaying that I'm in the guild hall or something so cliche like that? Even if it's demanded that guild chat is strictly RP, and the 'gnomish telepathy device' type thing is in effect, cliche as it is... I'm still not prone to wanting to talk in guild chat in character because most people don't realize that such a thing requires looking through your toon's eyes. They still *Randomorc walks in sighing* (again with the cliche, I know) all the time in the telepathy setting. Brings a bad taste to potentially good roleplay, if you ask me.nBut each person prefers to roleplay in different ways. Some view everything as super-realistic.. some as super-anime, some as what it looks like in game, and some (few) have open minds about other variations.nnnnAnother thing that I dislike about guildchat rp and tavern rp....nn*Randomorc grunts with sweat on his brow as he throws his magically enchanted throwing axe at Elfboy's exposed kneecap (which would cripple his movement)*n-----20minutes later------n*Elfboy, after realizing what the orc was doing, clearly dodges the attack with superb grace and poise since he's an elf and would be capable of easily evading a slow throwing weapon!*nn^ that's 'decent' rp... but god DAMN! An entire day would go by while people add needless fluff to a short, simple emote.. why not duel and communicate with the person what you're trying to convey by attacking them? Understanding, now, the heavy number of god-moders in the realms... still, Nyxians don't god mode from what I see (It's god MODE, not godmod just so you know).nnnnnBLAH! That's my rant and rave. If you want me, I'll be roleplaying a badass and relearning my class out in the field so I can back up the whole 'strong fighter' thing I've got labelled on me. Stay in your taverns at your leisure.nnnn-Tsaphaan the Queenslayer
How exactly can a rogue 'stealth' in a field of untouched white snow?
Please... if you were a rogue, you'd know that you can use your blackened soul to conceal you even in blazing light.
And here you thought rogues were just thugs with knives.

Lokistrazsza
Known Alliance
Known Alliance

Postby Lokistrazsza » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:28 am

Don't let Aitana see that "Queenslayer" title. :pnnAlso, I always thought it was god-mote.. as in emote. *shrug*
"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I have no fear, for I am the meanest mother****er in the whole valley." - Gen. George S. Patton

Tsaphaan
The Lost and the Fallen
The Lost and the Fallen

Postby Tsaphaan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:22 am

Feh. She knows good and well that I'm proud of my accomplishments against the Kingship of the Least.nnAs well as I'm not ever backing down from a good fight, Kingship or not. As far as I'm concerned, if they put up a good fight then they're worth dying by my hand - indescriminantly.
How exactly can a rogue 'stealth' in a field of untouched white snow?
Please... if you were a rogue, you'd know that you can use your blackened soul to conceal you even in blazing light.
And here you thought rogues were just thugs with knives.

Aitana
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Aitana » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:30 am

Dracmorda wrote:It wouldn't be a bad idea to make a little "roleplaying guide" kind of thing for the guild since we allow players of all levels of rp experience into the guild. Things like commonly used game terms that can be said in an rp fashion, etc. (example: What's the daily heroic today? = What challenge have the Wizards of Dalaran issued today?).nnIn my opinion, when the majority of people stay IC, it creates an overall fantasy world for your characters to interact in. It can be a little abrasive when you are rp'ing in guild chat for example, and someone blurts out damage meters or "I just pnwned this guy" "look at my phat lewt" etc. It can be a turn off and ruin the vibe some people are trying to weave. (Frankly, I've never understood OOC Gchat- with a little creativity you can say anything you need to say IC and it supports and nourishes rp overall in the guild.) nnI know from being an outsider just recently accepted to the ranks, NYX does have the reputation of being the biggest Horde side RP guild, and providing people who may be attracted to rp a place to flourish seems like a positive thing. There is tons of guilds out there that allow you to do/say whatever you want all the time where you don't have to rp at all, after all.
nWe do have a roleplaying guide at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=507 and there is a link to it in the Phase 2 portion document that all applicants have to sign to say that they have read the document before they are allowed to contact an officer for an interview. The only problem is that it is so long and many people won't read it. It might be nice to have other people take their own shots at making some sort of 'quick start' roleplaying guide for people that want to RP, but are new to it and find that guide overwhelming.nnAnd on another note, we have had discussions about views on RP in guild chat at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3070

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Galeandra

Postby Galeandra » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:46 pm

Aitana wrote:
Dracmorda wrote:It wouldn't be a bad idea to make a little "roleplaying guide" kind of thing for the guild since we allow players of all levels of rp experience into the guild. Things like commonly used game terms that can be said in an rp fashion, etc. (example: What's the daily heroic today? = What challenge have the Wizards of Dalaran issued today?).nnIn my opinion, when the majority of people stay IC, it creates an overall fantasy world for your characters to interact in. It can be a little abrasive when you are rp'ing in guild chat for example, and someone blurts out damage meters or "I just pnwned this guy" "look at my phat lewt" etc. It can be a turn off and ruin the vibe some people are trying to weave. (Frankly, I've never understood OOC Gchat- with a little creativity you can say anything you need to say IC and it supports and nourishes rp overall in the guild.) nnI know from being an outsider just recently accepted to the ranks, NYX does have the reputation of being the biggest Horde side RP guild, and providing people who may be attracted to rp a place to flourish seems like a positive thing. There is tons of guilds out there that allow you to do/say whatever you want all the time where you don't have to rp at all, after all.
nWe do have a roleplaying guide at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=507 and there is a link to it in the Phase 2 portion document that all applicants have to sign to say that they have read the document before they are allowed to contact an officer for an interview. The only problem is that it is so long and many people won't read it. It might be nice to have other people take their own shots at making some sort of 'quick start' roleplaying guide for people that want to RP, but are new to it and find that guide overwhelming.nnAnd on another note, we have had discussions about views on RP in guild chat at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3070
nnIf you like, I could decipher the guide and create a 'quick start' that would simply state the main points with references to the main guide for more information. Probably take me a good week but I'll be happy to do this =).nnPlease let me know ^_^

Return to “Ward of Lore”