The Hearthstone and you!

Through this Portal, you enter the realm of the Order of Sages. Ward yourself accordingly!

Moderators: Lunar Guard, The Gloaming

Swanthula

The Hearthstone and you!

Postby Swanthula » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:52 am

The Hearthstone and YounnThe hearthstone is our most valuable tool when it comes to Guild communication. It’s arcane nature allows for a variety of dynamic effects. Below are details describing it’s abilities, limitations, and major functions.nnMajor Functions and Abilities: The stone acts as a two way transmitter between two or more other like stones. These stones are attuned to each other and also allows visual transmitting if held up to the eye. Much like a modern day webcam, the stone can transmit images and sound. Also much like a web cam, the stones “eyes” may be obscured and covered, inhibiting any other stone holders from seeing through to that stones location.nnLimitations: The stones must be recharged periodically to ensure proper utility. The stones do not allow any other sense to be used through them. You cannot touch or smell anything through the stone. You also can not transmit your thoughts over the stone.nnPower Source: A complex array of enchanted stone and arcane energy.nnnExamples of what your stone CAN do:n1. *Warburn looks through the stone and notices Aitana by the lake*n2. Lah don’t you dare look at me! *Myyah covers her stone so she can‘t be seen*n3. *Dracmorda stands by the bar, the bartender can be heard mumbling something about ”dead orcs”, with a glare on his face*nnExamples of what your stone CAN NOT do:n1.*Leo grabs Aitana and pushes her down into the chair*n2. *Lythanor chases Warburn down the hall screaming the whole way*n3. *Grethem thinks he'll eat 3 gnomes for dinner*nn(Unless you are physically with another character, you can not touch or interact with them physically in any way. If you have any questions or comments please post them on the questions and comments page under the Ward of Lore)
Bone Priestess of the Zandalari

Myyah
Nightwarder
Nightwarder

Re: The Hearthstone and you!

Postby Myyah » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:55 am

I believe we need to relook at this... this is a great tradition and being an RP guild, we should strive to keep this alive. Thoughts?

Nightwarder of Growth & Nourishment

"The pendulum of the mind does not swing between right and wrong, but rather between sense and non-sense."
~C.G. Jung

Myyah
Nightwarder
Nightwarder

Postby Myyah » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:55 am

unlocking for discussion..

Nightwarder of Growth & Nourishment

"The pendulum of the mind does not swing between right and wrong, but rather between sense and non-sense."
~C.G. Jung

Locomono
Nightwarder
Nightwarder

Postby Locomono » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:27 am

Even though I am guilty of some of these things I do agree with this. If we have a thought we should speak them. Although I will miss sending hugs through. Good news for Parted though noone can ruffle Parted's hair unless they can catch him in person.
Nightwarder of Growth and Nourishment-Loco by most, Broky by some ;)
-Brother to all Nyxians.

Aitana
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Aitana » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:38 pm

I wholeheartedly support this. We all need to be on the same page about what it means to RP in guild chat. Otherwise it gets confusing or even downright silly.

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Eione

Postby Eione » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:15 am

((For the interactions I've seen the current method works quite well. It's a communication device on sorts so visual and audio would work fine. Adding in other things would make it too complicated to deal with IC as would the reduction in its current abilities.nn2 copper. ))

Asarelah
Elder
Elder

Postby Asarelah » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:48 am

Anyone have any objections to me working this in to the Hall of Judgment Phase 1 worksheet ??nn*prepares to do so, if no objections are heard*

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

Nyxian Trustee Asarelah Trueheart
Oracle, Retired. Ambassador at Large. Watchdog, on Duty.

Eione

Postby Eione » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:37 am

I believe Bloodthin was talking about reviewing the way the stone works, so he may have something in the works. The main issue at the moment is that one member can emote what they are thinking and someone will respond to those thoughts (as I did today). In these situations do we discourage both participates from falling into such a trap or just let it continue. nnThe other idea being tossed around today was using the stone as means of say booking a hair appointment. Do we limit this to voice communication or do we include some basic text capability. I for one am all for including text, this can then be the excuse behind "knowing" another members name, their name shows on the stone as they speak.nnBlood I'd love for your input on this, floundering a bit.

Swanthula

Postby Swanthula » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:00 pm

Since it's mentioning at the Lore meeting, I've been waiting to see how the stones function may be changed. Because I believe the hearthstone to be our most significant and readily used method of interaction, it's a big deal to me. I'm refraining from any in depth conversation untill Bloodthin announces any possible changes, but I would like to comment on a few questions I've seen here.nn1. It's simple and any confusion from guildies on it's uses can be clearified through example. ie: The more they see how "we" use it, the clearer it will become how they can use it.nn2. Responding to someones thoughts = no no. Unless you might guess at how they are feeling through an observation of facial expression or body language, you would never know what’s going on upstairs. If someone is really anxious to respond to a thought, it could easily be achieved with a minimal effort. For example, If Grethem is thinking "damn I would love to eat this Gnome" and Swanthula notices that thought on the stone, I might choose to say.."Mmm Grethem, you salivate like you missed last moons meal...dis Gnome look tasty to you maybe?" I support his RP and share my own thought without becoming a mind reader. I give him the option to confirm or deny his own thoughts. I would be making a mistake by addressing his thoughts like I could read them, even though we can all plainly read the text.nn3. The Mind Vision. Tricky tricky. The spell allows a priest to see through a “touched” minds eyes. Simply it’s not much different from the hearthstone as we use it. It’s line of sight so if someone conceals their stone, Mind Vision would be impossible, imo. Also, as in the spells description, it cannot reach into instances or across continents. That being said, I hold the opinion it could in fact be used through the stone. We just need to be careful adding extra sensory stuff to the spell, smells and such. On a separate note, I kind of think Lah’s idea of her character having a bit of empathic abilities with tribe members is intriguing. It certainly fits with her characters devotion to the people. I think it brings an interesting element to Oracle Truehearts nature. I’d walk the line carefully though and be clear in your emoting about any empathic connection with tribesman in tandem with the use of Mind Vision because other (maybe those less dexterous with RP) priests may get confused and think that the empathy is a reflection of the spell and not a nuance of Lah’s character.
Bone Priestess of the Zandalari

Grethem

Postby Grethem » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:39 pm

Swanthula wrote:2. Responding to someones thoughts = no no. Unless you might guess at how they are feeling through an observation of facial expression or body language, you would never know what’s going on upstairs. If someone is really anxious to respond to a thought, it could easily be achieved with a minimal effort. For example, If Grethem is thinking "damn I would love to eat this Gnome" and Swanthula notices that thought on the stone, I might choose to say.."Mmm Grethem, you salivate like you missed last moons meal...dis Gnome look tasty to you maybe?" I support his RP and share my own thought without becoming a mind reader. I give him the option to confirm or deny his own thoughts. I would be making a mistake by addressing his thoughts like I could read them, even though we can all plainly read the text.n
nnI am offended that you would think Grethem to be the one to devour gnomes.

Return to “Ward of Lore”