The Hearthstone and you!

Through this Portal, you enter the realm of the Order of Sages. Ward yourself accordingly!

Moderators: Lunar Guard, The Gloaming

Asarelah
Elder
Elder

Re: The Hearthstone and you!

Postby Asarelah » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Swantula wrote:3. The Mind Vision. Tricky tricky. The spell allows a priest to see through a “touched” minds eyes. Simply it’s not much different from the hearthstone as we use it. It’s line of sight so if someone conceals their stone, Mind Vision would be impossible, imo. Also, as in the spells description, it cannot reach into instances or across continents. That being said, I hold the opinion it could in fact be used through the stone. We just need to be careful adding extra sensory stuff to the spell, smells and such. On a separate note, I kind of think Lah’s idea of her character having a bit of empathic abilities with tribe members is intriguing. It certainly fits with her characters devotion to the people. I think it brings an interesting element to Oracle Truehearts nature. I’d walk the line carefully though and be clear in your emoting about any empathic connection with tribesman in tandem with the use of Mind Vision because other (maybe those less dexterous with RP) priests may get confused and think that the empathy is a reflection of the spell and not a nuance of Lah’s character.
nnThankee for responding to this. If this is acceptable, I won't have to backtrack and edit to much to get it right.nnIF you ever see me "use" the hearthstone improperly please please please correct me. I would appreciate it greatly. As you said, we need to set proper examples. And I WILL be careful with it.nnOn another note, not quite correct on the attributes of Mind Vision. Once it is cast it DOES travel wherever the "wearer" goes, whether across continents or in to dungeons - until the Priest drops the casting.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

Nyxian Trustee Asarelah Trueheart
Oracle, Retired. Ambassador at Large. Watchdog, on Duty.

Darkclouded

Postby Darkclouded » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:23 pm

Grethem wrote:nnI am offended that you would think Grethem to be the one to devour gnomes.
nnWe all know it's true greth. give into your feelings. join the feral side and we can rule the game as person and other person!nnBut yes as I understand it the hearthstone, by consensus of several RPers has been a sound and sight transmitter. it can't send text unless you are holding it up to a book or something, it can't transmit thought although it can arguably transmit certain spells, and you can't send objects through it (yes this means no guildy fighting over the hearthstone even if we want to :P). By what I've seen for a guild member to interact with another and NOT be entirely in the sense of just talking they would have to physically be in the same area and both agree that they are near each other.
Dies the beast.
Dies the king.
In fire's path, dies everything.
PS: Yes. You actually do have to run faster than the lion.

Grethem

Postby Grethem » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:30 pm

I don't see why people are so uptight about two people RPing in guild chat as though they were physically there, even when they're a world apart.nnNobody's going to go from Orgrimmar to Icecrown just to make it more realistic by an INCREDIBLY pathetic degree, when you can just assume they're in the same place.nnThe only times I see it cause for concern is nA. If you're actually with one of the people involvednB.They were just talking about where they were and end up doing something to a friend in a completely different place a second later through the hearthstone.nnOtherwise, gimping somebody else's fun just for the sake of having both of their locations show up as the same in /who is kinda defeating the point.

Dracmorda

Postby Dracmorda » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:07 pm

As rp'ers we are setting a stage for us all to perform on in a sense. There are principles to it, and it's the job of anyone promoting and embracing the tradition of rp to adhere to certain acceptable rules. If you take a sport (or any other pas time or hobby) and just say, "well why are there rules? Someone just made them up and it would be easier if we didn't have them!", the sport would be short lived.nnRP'ing that you are slapping someone, grabbing something from someone or any physical contact through the stone at all is against what the tribe has established as acceptable usage of it.

Tarja

Postby Tarja » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:17 pm

I am all for the stone, it is a fun way to interact with others. and should be used. nnbut I don't see why we do not also have a place in which, people can actually (Specifiy they're at), that would allow them to roleplay with others, in a touch/see/feel/smell/etc way. nnie: *Walks into the <Hall of Judgements> and sits down upon the couch, begins reading a book* nn*<Name> notices, comes over and smiles, sitting down beside...* nnIn reality the person would be doing what they need to be doing (dailys etc.) but their character, would be in this area, open to others whom are doing the same.nnnWe have a hall of judgement, a hall, but other then processing paper work, it isn't used. nnin doing so, I truely think it'd open doors upon doors to roleplaying.
UC of G&N
Watchdogs have never looked this good before.

Eione

Postby Eione » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:47 am

I understand the reasons why keeping proximity with world proximity is a fundamental rule but surely this can be bent slightly in the instance of two parties consenting to such an RP.nnThen again it could cause confusion amongst those who don't realise. On that note how often do you check for world proximity when people are RP'ing close proximity.nnI'm sorry I just confused myself and I'm not sure if I made my point. *makes face*

Asarelah
Elder
Elder

Postby Asarelah » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:06 am

*keeps close watch on this discussion waiting to see the Masters of Lore react to Elena's remarks about consensual proximity, and also thinking along similar lines*

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

Nyxian Trustee Asarelah Trueheart
Oracle, Retired. Ambassador at Large. Watchdog, on Duty.

Aitana
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Aitana » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:38 am

Elena wrote:I am all for the stone, it is a fun way to interact with others. and should be used. nnbut I don't see why we do not also have a place in which, people can actually (Specifiy they're at), that would allow them to roleplay with others, in a touch/see/feel/smell/etc way. nnie: *Walks into the <Hall of Judgements> and sits down upon the couch, begins reading a book* nn*<Name> notices, comes over and smiles, sitting down beside...* nnIn reality the person would be doing what they need to be doing (dailys etc.) but their character, would be in this area, open to others whom are doing the same.nnnWe have a hall of judgement, a hall, but other then processing paper work, it isn't used. nnin doing so, I truely think it'd open doors upon doors to roleplaying.
nLike with so many things, there are multiple approaches to the same thing that are all have their merits and their drawbacks. Blackmoon Tribe handles their RP channel in a manner similar to what you describe. It is like the tribe is gathered around a tribal fire.nnOther approaches do everything from sending an 'signal' that is so strong that it is like being in the presence of the other person to just acting like walky-talkies for only voice communication. We have adopted something in the middle where it allows for voice and visual communication. nnI do not care for the approach that puts us all in the same place when we RP in guild chat. I am not in two places at once. Somebody that is in Kalimdor cannot slap me with a fish when I am in Northrend fighting mobs. But I don't have a problem with it if two people say they are in the same place and RP across the stone, although it makes it weird if I happen to see one of them and they are not with the other person.

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Darkclouded

Postby Darkclouded » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:03 pm

Aitana wrote:Somebody that is in Kalimdor cannot slap me with a fish when I am in Northrend fighting mobs.
nGasp! an obvious allusion to marlonis! quick get the fish wielder!
Dies the beast.
Dies the king.
In fire's path, dies everything.
PS: Yes. You actually do have to run faster than the lion.

Swanthula

Postby Swanthula » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:57 pm

I do not care for the approach that puts us all in the same place when we RP in guild chat. I am not in two places at once. Somebody that is in Kalimdor cannot slap me with a fish when I am in Northrend fighting mobs. But I don't have a problem with it if two people say they are in the same place and RP across the stone, although it makes it weird if I happen to see one of them and they are not with the other person.
nnI have to agree. I've played with the suggested "we're all in a Guild Hall" style before. It can get confusing for some and frankly, I've seen it lead to lots of silly chasing, slapping, borderline godmoding stuff. It breaks the continuity for me as well. Yes we're all in a fantasy game, but when I'm farming with friends or Rping or weaving or whatever, i have a hard time pretending I'm in another place doing other things with other people. It doesn't make sense.nnI actually DO /who peoples locations and take into consideration where they are and what they might be doing. I also apply that to myself. I will not emote in G-chat that I am dipping in swamp water unless I'm near some swamp water. Just call me a heavy RP nerd nazi. *smiles and salutes*
Bone Priestess of the Zandalari

Return to “Ward of Lore”