Is your character a Mary Sue?

Through this Portal, you enter the realm of the Order of Sages. Ward yourself accordingly!

Moderators: Lunar Guard, The Gloaming

Darkclouded

Re: Is your character a Mary Sue?

Postby Darkclouded » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:22 pm

There are certain widely held standards to prevent the "thrall's nephew" situation that you mentioned. generally not only would it conflict with lore in the game but those who RP regularly usually understand this as either someone inexperienced to RP or someone not respecting it, either possibility having its own simple and fair way of dealing with it. Personally I admit I fall into the group that sees that form of god-modding (linking yourself to major lore in that way, making your character overpowered in RP, or altering someone else's RP to fit what you want to do) as a major annoyance that can hopefully be ended if pointed out to the person.nn None of what I said here is meant to be offensive to you or others with similar viewpoints, if it came across in that manner I apologize, however when a statement like those made earlier in this topic is seen largely BY people who it can possibly pertain to (the stance on those with backstories for their characters often compensating or forcing RP on others in a topic in which people actively check their characters' backstories) there is always a voice in defense of the group being commented on. in this case I attempted to be the person voicing that defense in what I took as a rather broad statement.nn As you have stated in different words several times everyone RPs their own way and they don't pay about 15-30 dollars to be told how to do so. RP is the creativity of individuals under the set limits of their surroundings, personal RP not to exceed confirmed lore or make a character too overpowered. as such every facet of it is often questioned. I guess that means backstory is done being questioned outside of cases of godmodding for now.
Dies the beast.
Dies the king.
In fire's path, dies everything.
PS: Yes. You actually do have to run faster than the lion.

Ianodil

Re: Is your character a Mary Sue?

Postby Ianodil » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Indeed Dark. The apology is mutual if I too conveyed a misconstruded statement. It is always good that we explore these concepts to further expand the importance and quality of "Lore" in this guild. I think we should discuss these concepts more often.
"Your words are visible to me... Speak wisely."

Return to “Ward of Lore”