Nyx RP Addon Pack Now Available at Curse.com

Through this Portal, you enter the realm of the Order of Sages. Ward yourself accordingly!

Moderators: Lunar Guard, The Gloaming

Shixin
Elder
Elder

Nyx RP Addon Pack Now Available at Curse.com

Postby Shixin » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:17 am

Curse.com now allows members to create addon packs; all your favorite addons in one easy-to-download package.nnNow, Nyx has its very own group of addons specifically for RP and events!nnNyxRP Addon PacknnJust go to the link and click download and the Curse client will takeover and install it for you! When you download the pack, you'll get:nn- MyRolePlay - is a roleplaying addon that allows you to add roleplay-specific information about your character that other users of MyRolePlay (and other compatible addons) can see in the tooltip, and in a more detailed window. You can change your first name, middle name, and surname; you can add a 'title' for your character. You can set your preferred style of roleplaying, such as "normal", "casual", "fulltime" or "beginner", and your status, such as whether you're "in character", or perhaps you're specifically "looking for contact" from other roleplayers. nnImagennnn- Gryphonheart Items - Create your own items in game. Write a book, a note, a loveletter perhaps a poem, and keep it within your bag or trade it to other users of GHI. Create birthday presents, tools, food, drinks, weapons, banners – everything! Only your own imagination sets the bar. Among the more popular features of GHI, you can also create items that will grant you a buff, which is fully visible to other GHI users. Are you a noble of a rich family with an expensive ring, crest or necklace? Wear it with full details now, and let others see how wealthy you are! Are you a beggar or peasant with certain belongings upon you? Show the RP’ing community exactly how you look! You can create items which consumes other items you have created like food when you eat it, or additional bags to store all the items you come across. There is no limit to the possibilities of what items you can create, only that you have to think it up first.nnImagennnn- Gryphonheart Reputation - An amazing addon that lets you create new factions that appear on the Reputation tab of your Character Sheet. Officers can reward reputation to other players who have the addon and all users are able to flag themself as a member of one of the factions. Factions can even be at war with one another!nnImagennnn- Group Calendar 5 - Great addon for managing your time in WoW. Never miss another event because you lost track of time. Group Calendar 5 is completely re-built around the WoW calendar database. This allows it to work with the built-in calendar, including the armory web-based calendar. Also, because it works with the built-in calendar, your guild members are not required to use this addon since they can use the built-in calendar instead. They will still see your events and be able to sign up for them even if they choose to use the built-in calendar.nnGroup Calendar 5 featuresnn
    ▫ Compatible with the built-in calendar and web-based armory calendars n▫ View and edit events using local or server dates and times n▫ Track tradeskill cooldowns n▫ Create partnerships for coordinating events across multiple guilds n▫ Export your calendar to the iCalendar format for use in external applications or web calendars n▫ Reminders for upcoming events and tradeskill cooldowns n▫ View events and get reminders while on your alts n▫ Easy invite management to track group composition n▫ Quickly invite players to the raid from the attendance list n▫ Set level limits and duration for events n▫ Analog clock with date on the minimap button for attractive timekeeping
nnInvited!n
GC5.jpg
nnEvent editornImagennn- WoWScribe - A must-have addon for literally anyone that plays the game. This very lightweight addon records everything that is said in the channels of your choosing, and saves it in a simple .txt file your LOGS folder in the WOW directory. Can't really say enough about this one; if you don't have it, get it today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grawlix
Umbral Champion
Umbral Champion

Re: Nyx RP Addon Pack Now Available at Curse.com

Postby Grawlix » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:49 am

Very cool.

Thulcondar

Postby Thulcondar » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:53 am

neat! thanks!
Tcd

Shixin
Elder
Elder

Postby Shixin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:49 pm

Some folks have expressed a concern to me recently about the amount of memory additional addons "eat up". I knew that this was based on misinformation, but I didn't know how to explain it. Then I found this article on Tankspot by Satrina (ostensibly of Satrina Buff Frames fame).nn
Addons, Memory, and You nWe get a lot of people who come here asking about "lightweight" addons. I get tired of writing this repeatedly, so here we go in one happy sticky place:nnWhen talking about addon performance, you really need to consider two things: How much memory the addon consumes, and how much of your computer's processing time (CPU time) it uses. Of the two, CPU time is by far the one you should be caring about the most.nnnBut I only have 2GB of memory!nImagenFor most people, WoW uses somewhere between 600 and 700 megabytes of memory. I was running about 35 addons when I took that screenshot, about 30 megabytes of memory to addons (which is already included in the big number.) Compared to how much memory the game itself uses, even if you use double or triple the amount I was there - it's a nonissue. nnYeah, if you ran it up to 200 or 300 megabytes of memory used by addons, it might become a problem. Then again, if you have a fast system with a lot of memory in it, it probably isn't a problem.nnBut addons kill my framerate!nAddons can affect your framerate, but that's because of addons that are poorly coded and chew up lots of CPU time. You are not losing performance because of the amount of memory an addon uses. Almost never.nnCase 1: Gatherer uses a ton of memory to store the locations of resource nodes. Gatherer does nothing at all in an instance, so that memory just sits there and causes you no grief.nnCase 2: Many addon authors will memoize (pre-calculate and store) data ahead of time. This might mean that when you are in combat, the result is simply a memory lookup instead of a calculation. This is done to increase performance. You are trading space, which is cheap, for CPU time, which is expensive. You are gaining performance by using more memory.nnWith that said, memory that is bloating in an addon for no apparent reason can be an indicator of a badly written addon. In this case, the problem is the addon using memory badly, indicating excessive CPU time used that shouldn't be and an addon that does not manage its resources well. The other side effect is that the Lua garbage collector has to work overtime to keep up with the memory churn, which can degrade performance. In this case, the culprit is still not memory. The memory usage is simply a clue for you. Note that things like Recount are a good example. Recount simply stores a hell of a lot of data.nnTL;DR: Memory is the least of your concern in 95% of all cases.
nnI hope this helps folks understand that it isn't the amount of memory in your system, it is the CPU usage that causes lower framerates. Memory usage is usually very small (if you have 2GB of memory = 2000MB. Even running a LOT of addons usually runs around 20 or 30MB. That's only 1%!)nnPLUS! THere is a really cool addon called Addon Control Panel (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/acp.aspx) This amazing addon will let you turn addons on and off from inside the game, without having to reboot your game! You can also create 'sets' that you can load and unload at will. For example, let's say you have your RP Addons enabled. You're about to go to ICC and don't want GHI and GHR loaded, so you hit your RAID set of addons, and BLAM! Easy as that.nnAnyway, hope that helps.

Marlonis

Postby Marlonis » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:28 am

:lightbulb: nnThat is great to hear, but the only warning I give you is be very careful if you are doing a package download. I am not very familiar with the whole inside to explain why this might happen, but you might download a virus doing package downloads from Curse.nnMy friend that is really good with computers explained to me that packaged downloads are great as it heavy simplifies the entire process - but you are also agreeing to virus and you computer just agrees with you.nnMy brother-in-law a couple months back got hacked and WoW account was wiped clean! The hacking was, somehow out of my understanding, traced back to a package download from Curse Add-on. Those people create the add-ons are very nice for doing so, but that does not mean everyone is nice. Curse does their best are regulating these virus issues, but the will not get all of them.nnFor me, I do the annoying and way of installing them straight into the interface parts of my computer information, but it is safer - but everyone should have your anit-virus updated and with new weapons!nnHope you all the safety, and if you are worried just get an authenticator. 6$ for it, but it is cheaper and way less stress! :ow:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

*Waves Fish*

Aitana
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Aitana » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:44 am

You cannot get a virus from LUA code which is what WoW addons use. You can however get viruses from seemingly safe ads served by Google on any site. Ads for gamers are served to Curse and other legitimate sites, and some of those ads contain malware. nnOne safer way to surf the web is to use Firefox with the NoScript and AdBlock Plus tools. NoScript prevents scripts on a page from running unless you give the ok. AdBlock Plus blocks the ads as the name implies. They do make surfing the web slower because you have to grant sites permission to run scripts on your computer, but it gives you control, and if you use them without ok-ing everything, they can prevent harmful scripts from messing up your computer or infecting your computer with malware.nnThe only problem I have with the add-on pack is that it requires the Curse add-on tool and I prefer to install all my add-ons manually. Theoretically the automatic tool should be safe, but as a separate tool, I don't trust it to always be free of malware. The page for the add-on pack lists all the add-ons with links for them, so I used them to download the mods.

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Shixin
Elder
Elder

Postby Shixin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:30 am

WoW Insider did a very informative write up on RP addons for 4.0. Three of the addons discussed in the article are in our pack!nnhttp://wow.joystiq.com/2010/11/21/all-t ... ay-addons/

Shixin
Elder
Elder

Postby Shixin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:39 am

Hmmm... here's another one that I may add to the pack:nnStoryteller - Write your story line by line in MS Word (or w/e) and copy paste the whole thing into the Storyteller window. It will then spit out your story one line at a time.nnImagennhttp://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... eller.aspx

Return to “Ward of Lore”