How to rp

Through this Portal, you enter the realm of the Order of Sages. Ward yourself accordingly!

Moderators: Lunar Guard, The Gloaming

Bloodthin

How to rp

Postby Bloodthin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:55 pm

HOW TO RPn*this is a general guide on the basics of rp. Some of these rules will include the does and donts of rp. I will also provide some insight on how nopt to create a mary suer or god mod of a character.*nnStep 1.nWho is your character? nBy this point you should already have a set race for your character now it is time to describe how he acts. Or whom he acts certains ways with. For example I recomend a stitch of somesort. What i mean by this is, what seperates your character from the rest of us. I am not currently talking about how does his or her rank affect us but more along the lines of how does his personality come about. nFor example:nIs your charactyer mean and cynical if so why?nIs your character good and light..once again if so Why?nIs your character inbetween if so why?nnThjis is an area alot of rpers become stumped in. When drawing up a bio for your character its fgood to think of not a whole story line but a list of major events your character m,ay have been innvolved with. Doing this can greatky help not just decide on a personality but help you perhaps copme together and build one. nFor example:nBloodthin may seem like the mean and cynical type for the reasons of major events that have brought him to be this way.nEvent 1.nHe was klicked out of the Kirin Tor by his father.nAs we can see this will have an affect on his personality, it does lead to him dwelling into fel magic and becoming a warlock. It also creates a mistrust and a great dislike for him when dealing with mages. nEvent 2. nBloodthin was betrayed by his closest comrades.nThis is going to have a major effect on Bloodthins personality, as it would anyones. He is not going to be a happy go lucky kind of person even with people he considers family to him now. He trusted two people and they tried to kill him. Making him wary and perhaps a bit aggresive. nnWithin these events we have a personality built. Of course there is more that will go into but stop and think. A bloodelf that has gone through two heavby betrayals. He is not going to be someone anyone can just approach and expect a hug. This does not mean he is evil in any fashion. Evil is defined by him or any character purposely doing something to hurt others. Bloodthin and a character like this are not evil but mistrusting. nnFor examplenPartedhair has a personality where he speaks in the third person, to any normal player of wow they could just think Parted is stupid. But truly he is not. Partedhairs character builds on a backstory one that he has put much effort and attention into developing. A STRONG BUILT CHARACTER DOES NOT HAPPEN OVER NIGHT!nnPlease rember this all does not happen over night, when you build a personality for your charactwer put attention into it. Put reason behind it....Excuses such as "he is a troll thus he eats people." IS NOT VALID!nnWhen your character has a stich in that way put reason behind it. "He eats night elf ears because his Grandmother used to make the best nightelf ear stew ever." That is reason for him to eat the ears off his kill as it ties straight into his backstory.nnFor example:nUlua or the now more recently known Uls, she hates men. dreads them. Infact when she logs in or you log in you may often see a comment directed at the male gender. This is not just a quirk created in the mind it has reasoning behind it. The reasoning being possible betrayal by another man..named maggot perhaps. The fatc she has been the bride at two wedding but has yet to be the wife. The list adds up. But it asll ties back to the back story or major events within Uls life.nnnStep 2.nHow to avoid Mary Sue and Godmod.nFirst what is a Mary Sue?nA Mary sue is a character that is so sradically different it either breaks the lore or creates an rp people are unable to rp with. When you think of Mary sue you think of characters that are often so powerful they are unstoppable. Think on this for a moment. If your character was so unstoppable why is he /she not sitting on the throne in ogrimar? This because you are not the lich kings brother and you are not lord of silvermoon. Onbe of the main rules of rp is simple. Keep your character out of strong personel relationships with big npcs. Do not be homies with Thrall. nnThe dragon questionnThe best way to avoid even reading this portion is this ..DO NOT TRY TO RP AS A DRAGON! Dragons are the most powerful being on azeroth. Even a weak dragon could proably wipe out a city. The dragons are seperated into 5 aspects and all but one rarely associate with mortals. The red flight does dips its fingers in the pot yes. This does not mean you could be one. If Blizzard wanted the dragons to be a playable race they would have allowed you to roll one. This is niot the case Dragons are top powerful and to unpredictable. Aslo being a dragon caught in the body of a mortal, that does not work either. The dragons espically thiose of there own flight are a tight knit group. They would not allow things like this to happen to one there own aspect. If you have more questions about Dragons please post a question or PM me.nnGodmodding...what is it? nGodmodding is when you force your character to do something that will DIRECTLY affect someone elses character and force them to do something. Or in a simpler fashion doing somethign to a character that would make the character move from it current position or action with out letting the other person have any say in the matter. nnFor examplen*Bloodthin Picks Riannon up from where she was sitting, He cassually walks away with her in his arms not letting go or releasing her no matter hopw hard she struggled* nRiannon did not agree to her character being put into that position where there is no way out and there was no forewarning or no agreement upon this. That is a major form of GodmoddingnGodmodding: You being the soul controller of an rp where multiple people are innvolved, and you take there free will in the rp.nnThis is one of the biggest No No's in the game. Please refrain from doing things such as the example unless you have the persons out of character permission.nnThe best way to avoid both of these problems is to put yourself in the shoes of another rper. How fun would it become to be sitting at bar night enjoying your ale when ...OH MY GOD A DRAGON POPS OUT OF NOWHERE AND EATS YOUR HEAD!....Now your character is dead. You had no say in the matter ..you are dead. That is not fun for anyone so please avoid it.nnStep 3.nRp is not always a welcoming mistress of the night as some tend to think. Good rpers will not openly greet the new ones right on the spot. Like real people they have a group of friends that they rp with and that there characters have a connection in some fashion with. The best way to handle approaching a veteran group of rpers is contact them out of character and ask them if there is a way you can connect with there character. Find a reason for them to talk or need to see each other. People are reasonable and there is always a way to connect with someone else character.nnFor Example.n*Bloodthin and Riannon are having a lovely supper by themselves in the ratchet Inn. When someone they have never seen before intrudes. The intruder walks up to them in a proper tone says "I am your long lost daughter."*nnNot only is this an example of godmodding but its the wrong way to start and RP. You will not only creat a hostility with the characters themselves but also may cause an ill feeling from the folks on an OOC basis. nExample:n*Bloodthin and Riannon are having a lovely supper by themselves in the ratchet Inn. When someone they have never seen before intrudes.*nn((Hey, bloodthin can i rp with you guys? If so how can my character have a connection with you.?))nn((Yeah we would love tyo have you rp with us, right now they are discussing children if your character is old enough you can remember Bloodthin as a child.))nn((Yea my character is pretty old sounds fun.))nn*"Trelif is that you?????? I havent seen you in years." Bloodthin looks to the Intruder and smiles. "Aunt Krust the Klown It has been years."*nnThus you have not not only started a rp with someone or joined in on one but you have created yourself a connection between two characters. Now not only do you have someone to rp with but it can bring you into an rp with all kinds of new things. the best way to creat or join an rp is to find reason always ask yourself......WHY?nnStep 4nCreating an rp.nWhen creating an rp you will often need more then one person. A brother sister relationship, a Marriage, or even two old friends. Build off the back story of what you have from your characters events. Come together and work together ..use an Out of character way of saying to the person...ok how asre we going to rp this.nnREMEMBER NOT ALL RP NEEDS TO BE DRAMATIC SAD OR COMEDIC.nnI have learned through many years that the best rp is the one that makes you happy. The best rp is the one that you can leave with a smile on your face because your problems are not longer on your head. When you leave an rp leave it happy. Not sad or angry. Those rps fall and hurt every rper innvolved in it. Remeber we rp because its fun friendly and we create frineds from it ..dont ever let the drama and the misery of a characters woes bring you the rper to a OOC misery. nnIf you have any questions please PM or whisper me.

Shixin
Elder
Elder

Re: How to rp

Postby Shixin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:16 pm

Thanks for posting this, Blood. It answers a lot of questions about RP for new people that may have never done much of it before.nnAnd to add to what Bloodthin has said here, this is what the Ward of Lore exists for, to help people with RP. Feel free to ask anyone in Lore for pointers on making your story the best fit in the Warcraft universe!

Myyah
Nightwarder
Nightwarder

Postby Myyah » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:11 am

OH MY GOD A DRAGON POPS OUT OF NOWHERE AND EATS YOUR HEAD!.
nnnBloodthin, this is officially my new motto for you ... n *laughs crazily* Thanks for the laugh on that !nnn

Nightwarder of Growth & Nourishment

"The pendulum of the mind does not swing between right and wrong, but rather between sense and non-sense."
~C.G. Jung

Bloodthin

Postby Bloodthin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:54 am

*Bows* I post this because I love Rp and I love my guild. I dont want the new people to rp to ever feel excluded. And I like that Motto, Myyah lol.

Return to “Ward of Lore”