Entry 4782- The Book of Ur (From the Desk of Lucius Blacksong)

WoW Lore, Nyx Lore, Past Events, Fan Fiction and RP stories

Moderators: Lunar Guard, The Gloaming

Lucius

Entry 4782- The Book of Ur (From the Desk of Lucius Blacksong)

Postby Lucius » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:20 pm

From the desk of Lucius BlacksongnnEntry 4782- The Book of UrnnI am weary; the kind of malaise that leaves the mind regressed to that of filthy Worgen, the same subject that I toil over today. My studies have mostly been fruitless, and treks into the field, equally dismal. If not for the fact that the Dark Lady herself had tasked me with researching the true origins of the mangy Worgen race, I would have long since abandoned it. Though I fear my resolve is wearing thin.nnWhat had I learned to this point… Most information (and misinformation, as there is quite a bit of it floating about), stems from a tome blandly entitled the Book of Ur; how quaint. The author of said self-titled book, Ur, was a gifted mage stationed in the Violet Citadel of Dalaran. His curiosities raised quite a few eyebrows among his peers, though a blind eye was often cast due to his remarkable skill. Aside from his controversial research in creating a race of super soldiers, he dabbled in the study of Dark Magics. For those that have read his Treatise on Shadow Magic, you doubtless know his transcendent grasp on the harnessing of fel energies; but you also would know that his staunch morality eventually tempered his need for power, and thus never fulfilled his ambitions as the Father of a new race of superhumans. Many consider this a weakness that stemmed from past horrors kept locked tightly in the past; such allegations may never be confirmed, as he was brutally torn apart during the Siege of Dalaran. Fragments of parchment make mention that Archimonde took special interest in torturing the human; laughing malevolently as he tore his mind asunder, leaving him a shell to be devoured by the undead scourge.nnEven the knowledge found in his book, which took me quite some time to track down itself, is scant, providing only more veiled references as clues. I submit the text in questions:nnThe land of Azeroth is host to no end of wonders. Flora, fauna, cultures, and magic all teem across its surface. Indeed, the curious will find limitless variety on this world. One merely has to look. But if one looks deeply enough then windows to entire new worlds are found, and each world is home to its own wonders. Just as each world is home to its own horrors. nThis is the purpose of my book: to catalogue those beings, those otherworldly fiends who would destroy our lands, so that explorers who happen upon them will know what they face. So if you consider yourself a guardian of Azeroth, then read on. And know your enemy. n-UrnMage of Dalaran nnThe fiend of which I write is the Worgen. Old, rural folklore may hearken to these creatures. For what farmer's child has not heard tales of beastly wolf-men stalking the fields and marshes outside his village? And truth may hide in such tales--perhaps they are warnings against the Worgen, veiled as myths to frighten us. But before such tales are dismissed, let me now assure the reader: Worgen are real. They may not be from our world, but avenues exist between their home and ours and powerful magic can pull them here. Such chants are best left unuttered. For where ever the Worgen tread, they bring terror and bloodshed with them. nnYou will know the Worgen by its resemblance to the wolves of our world. When viewing a worgen one can easily see its coarse hair, pointed ears, and long snout are akin to the wolves we know. But you will just as quickly see its differences: that coarse hair surrounds a powerful, two-legged body sporting long fangs and dagger-like claws. And behind it's howl lurks a malevolence possessed by no natural beast. nThe worgen's home is a dark place, a place of nightmare. If that world fosters locations safe from the cursed Worgen, then my research has revealed no such bastions. And if one considers the ferocity and wickedness of the Worgen, it is likely that no such bastions exist. It is surmised that the Worgen are content to remain on their world, for although some Worgen possess powerful magic, they have made no attempts to reach Azeroth of their own accord. And for this, we are fortunate. nnAs mentioned above, some Worgen are skilled in the mystic arts, and their magic is of darkness and corruption. Curses and supernatural poisons are common, so be forewarned--those who face the worgen should arm themselves with wards against shadow. nnIt is my hope that no Dalaran wizard seeks out the Worgen, even if done in light conscience. For no pact may be struck, no secrets may be learned, no good can come from these beasts. They are best left to their world. For if found in ours and not destroyed, our peril will be dire... nnTrue words echo well past death. Foolishly, his words went unheeded. The subject of my next entry, Arugal, had neither the skill nor conscience of Ur. And now we are left to deal with these abhorrent creatures long after his demise…
"The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn."
- Thrall

Split Personality... indeed.

Return to “Library of the Sages”